Launch Academy’s Groundbreaking Study Skills Workshop for Tulsa
So waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, we wrote an article about Sam Eshagoff.
Don’t know him? He’s the SAT guru and is a test taking juggernaut. (He scored in the 97th percentile over 16 times). Oh, and he’s also a criminal. (turns out taking the test for other people is illegal. And charging them $2,000+ a pop is pretty much robbery too.)
But, realizing you’re a busy person and don’t have time to watch the interview on 60 Minutes, we want to make you aware of a very poignant piece of information he provided when asked what is the best way to study for these high stakes tests:
“If you haven’t been ‘Academically Conditioned’ up to the time you take the ACT or SAT, you will not do well.”
That puts up a BIG wall for lots of high school juniors and seniors, but a big smile on the faces of Sallie Mae and Mr. Perkins Loans.
But, we are are not Debbie Downers, Sallie Sobstories, or Wille Whiners. We have a solution to the root of the problem.
IMPROVE YOUR STUDENT’S STUDY SKILLS
Why would you want to improve their study skills? Well, aside from it benefiting you standardized test scores, it will also DRAMATICALLY improve your GPA. According to a National Association of College Admission Counselors (NACAC) 2011 Survey, grades in college prep courses were the most important factor weighing in to the admissions decision. Here’s what a good GPA does:
- Opens up doors to get into college
- Broadens a student’s options for college majors
- Allows students access to exclusive academic programs
- Makes them eligible for thousands of dollars in scholarship aid
- Gives students easy “resume buffers” – Words like Salutatorian and “with Honors” seem to stick out
But, Launch Academy doesn’t do good. WE DO GREAT. Here’s what a GREAT GPA can get you:
- Access to the top colleges and universities
- Preference in future job and career placements
- Makes them eligible for TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars in scholarship aid
- Gives students the best “resume buffers” – You can’t knock words like “Valedictorian,” “Summa Cum Laude,” and “Member of insert Greek name Honor Society.”
Now, if you’re a parent who’s thinking “This sounds good and all, but I don’t think my son/daughter is ‘valedictorian’ material,” here’s what Tony Wagner, Professor of education at Harvard University, says:
“There are two people who do well on AP tests: People who follow directions well and people who are intuitive test takers.”
Let me simplify that for you – every subject, every class, and every teacher, has a pattern. WOAH! If you want to get an awesome GPA, this information is KEY. So, how do you find the pattern in that class or subject?
LAUNCH ACADEMY’S STUDY SKILLS WORKSHOP
In these workshops, we teach students concepts, habits, and principles that will allow them to conquer any subject – no matter the grade level, no matter the teacher. We teach essential principles like:
- Why having good study habits matters to you as a student
- How to apply Pareto’s Principle (or the 80/20 rule) to education – Isolating the 20% of your efforts that give you 80% of your desired results
- How taking notes in math class is different than history class
- How to get extra credit in EVERY class
- How to eliminate answers in multiple choice tests
- The ultimate essay writing outline
- How to organize your notes for each class
- And more
So, if you want your student to be an academic rockstar, not just now, but for the indefinite future, then this is your workshop. This is 3-hours of the best advice and proven skills that your student will likely EVER receive.
If you’re interested in signing up for this workshop, contact us today for information on our next workshop!
Founder of Launch Academy Tutoring Company, 2013 nominee for Young Entrepreneur of the Year, 2011 Winner of the DaVinci Scholar Award, and University Guest Speaker on Education and Curriculum Design