3 Genius Breakfasts in less than 5 minutes!
Ever since you were kid you’ve been told that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Here’s the shocking truth.
It REALLY is!
Imagine eating lunch at 12:00 and then not being able to eat or drink anything until 8:00 that night. That’s what happens when you sleep! Then imagine, when 8:00 rolls around, you decide “No, I think I’ll wait until 11:00.” That’s crazy! But that’s exactly what you do when you don’t eat breakfast.
Now, do you really think you can function at your peak when your body is running on the fumes of the chocolate ice cream from the night before? Of course not! In order to get genius results in your academics, you have to put genius foods inside your body.
“So Dominick, what are these genius foods? I WANT TO BE A GENIUS!”
Ok, slow down. I’m about to bust open some genius breakfasts. But let me tell you why they are genius breakfasts.
- Your brain runs on carbs (complex carbs being the best), so your breakfast needs to include these!
- Vitamin C not only boosts your immune system (you know how many kids touched that door at the front of the school this morning?), but it has also been shown to have energizing effects – a natural red bull!
- Protein, unlike fats and carbs, can’t be stored for very long – you’ve got to keep refilling them. And after not eating for 8+ hours, you definitely need a refill. Protein is essential for muscle repair and, even if you’re trying to lose weight, consuming a high-protein breakfast has been shown to reduce hunger throughout the day!
- Water is so underrated. By the time you wake up, you need to put some liquid in or else you’ll soon become dehydrated. By drinking 16 oz as soon as you wake up, not only will you feel better, but German scientists recently found that doing this boosts metabolism by 24 percent for 90 minutes afterward! This means faster utilizing of your body’s nutrients and a quicker boost in your morning mood.
So with the breakdown out of the way, here’s the breakfasts:
The Eggcellent Ego Booster
If you’ve got 5 minutes, then this is your breakfast!
– 2 eggs (put these in a large enough microwavable cup. Make sure you mix the yokes up, put them in for a minute, and take them out. Mix it up a little bit and add some cheese. Put it back in for 45 seconds. Your eggs are done and delicious!)
– Either drink a glass of orange juice or eat an actual orange on the way to school! This will give you that much needed vitamin C.
– While your eggs are in the microwave for the 1st minute, pop a piece of toast into the toaster. Whole wheat, of course.
– Grab a bottle of water on your way out, or fill one up. By the time you get to school, make sure you have drunken all of it. Make it a mission!
The “Flying by the Seat of your Pants” Breakfast
If you’ve only got 2 minutes, then this is your breakfast!
– Whole Wheat Cherrios with Skim Milk! The whole wheat gives you your complex carbs and the skim milk gives you some of the liquid and also a good amount of protein. Want more protein? Eat some greek yogurt in addition, or use soy milk instead.
– Drink 16 oz of water and mix some emergen-c in there. There’s two more birds with one stone. If you can afford it, Airborne gives you a little more nutrient kick and can also be mixed with water.
The Grab-n-go Time Management Meal
If you have less than 2 minutes, then 1) you have to wake up earlier, and 2) make sure to eat this for your lazy days.
– If you know that you’re not going to even have 2 minutes to eat, then I would prepare this super easy dish the night before. It also just takes two minutes: Mix some blueberries or strawberries with greek yogurt in a disposable cup (you can add some honey if you want) and then mix in some whole grain oatmeal. After you do that, put it in the fridge. Once you wake-up, remove from fridge, and then eat it on the way to work. Done!
Are there other genius breakfast ideas that have worked for you before? Share them in the comments below!